Why Does God Allow Some to Suffer More Than Others?

Written By Joshua Woo

Joshua Woo is the special officer to a Member of Parliament in Malaysia. He was formerly a Presbyterian pastor in Singapore.

At a recent political conference, I had the opportunity to meet individuals from different countries, many of whom were currently living amid political uncertainty.

Listening to the struggles they faced in their own countries, I was intrigued. Some had been imprisoned before. Some were living in exile. Some were being prosecuted by their governments. Many didn’t have the opportunity to study, work, or start a family.

The plight of other groups caught my attention as well—the Syrian and Rohingya refugees, and the victims of human trafficking. The former were forced to leave their countries and cross borders illegally in order to survive, while the latter were kidnapped, prostituted, and traded. I was also gripped by the accounts of those forced to live in terrible conditions. Some were even murdered, as the recent discovery of mass graves at the borders between Malaysia and Thailand proved.

As I mulled over their tragic stories, I had to wonder: Why do some people suffer so much more than others? And what does the Bible say about this?

Suffering is everywhere

Suffering is everywhere and inevitable. Even around our home, we can see families who can’t afford more than one meal a day, students pushed to their limits, workers put out of jobs, elderly folk abandoned by family members, and migrant workers exploited by employers.

Suffering is also a key theme in the Bible. It tells us of many instances where God allows or was even involved in suffering: God giving Satan the permission to inflict Job (Job 1.8-12), Joseph’s difficult time in Egypt (Genesis 50:20), Jesus’ suffering on the cross (1 Peter 2:24), and the persecution of the early Christians (2 Corinthians 1:6-7).

Scripture tells us that some people suffer because of divine punishment, some for their faith, and some to save others.

Today, the suffering we see around us may be due to one of the above reasons. But there may be other reasons that we don’t know or don’t understand. Just like in the past, God knows exactly why He allows some people to suffer more than others, but He may not always reveal the reasons to us.

God’s Goodness and Love

What we do know for sure, however, is that God is loving and good. We can stay strong in our hope in Him through such times, even when we do not have the answer to suffering.

It’s easy to feel a great sense of despair when we see so much injustice and discrimination around us. But I take comfort from what the psalmist wrote, “Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; His love endures forever” (Psalm 107:1).

God’s goodness and love is clearly demonstrated through Jesus, whom He sent to redeem and save us from our sins when we were still God’s enemies. “You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us” (Romans 5:6-8).

Jesus suffered the greatest injustice of all when He died for sinners like you and me. So, in moments when we’re suffering for no apparent reason and we cannot comprehend why, we need only to look at the cross. As German theologian Jurgen Moltmann once said, “It’s only for Christ’s sake that I believe in God.”

And God promises that our suffering will not be forever. He will “wipe every tear” in the coming eternity. “There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away” (Revelation 21:4).

Because of Christ, we can rest our faith in the good and loving God despite not knowing why some people suffer more than others. God is there for them—as He is here for us through Jesus.

1. DOLORES
    DOLORES says:

It’s hard to understand why a loving God allows you to suffer over and over again. I see people who have caused so much suffering in my life go on to lead happy lives…where is God’s divine punishment for them. It’s said God is no respect of persons…I find that so hard to believe. When you suffer so much it just makes you feel forgotten and alone. Where is God in that?

• Sara M.L.C
      Sara M.L.C says:

I feel this way too! Maybe god just sits and laugh while watching some people suffer, no truly loving god what do that!

• Henry
      Henry says:

Yes… and after seeimg this written a zillion times…

Is why Ive finally concluded that we my as well see ourselves as “god” and not to allow others to hurt us if we can. Until I get s better response it’s all Ive got.

We need to stop looking to “god” at least in the sense that we know it as.

Although, I certainly can sympathize with your final sentence and I too know how that feels like.

(and that comes from one of the most optimistic people you could ever meet)

• V
      V says:

Why would you look at others?
      Pray to God every single day, you are low in faith!
      That’s why!
      Don’t go down that path

• Legend
      Legend says:

guys, read your bible and see that job suffered so much that he started accusing God and wanted a court case with God, if you guys are so foolish to want to do the same then i suggest you lucid dream, there after God may choose to enter your dreams or not(ive heard of several others who lucid dreamed and met someone claiming to be God…i wont say more than that though). also the apostles still suffered and the bible includes that they were happy to suffer for God(even though in our eyes they totally didnt deserve it). even i am suffering at this very moment and unlike others, i grew up a very lonely person and when i started seeking help from the Lord, i was helped so much that others started chanting my name, afterwards i really wanted to praise God and as i kept becoming a good, strong person, the suffering increased daily cause ik that when i grow up, i will contribute a large amount to the change of this world beleive you me. the fact that people who praise God suffer even more than ussual is already proof that God exists,Jesus said only God is good…have faith and if you did more research on your bible,you would know the kindom of even is inside you, do you know the way to it?
      Jesus said I am the truth, the way and the life,when telling the apostle the way to the kingdom of heaven. All in all i finsih up with this… those who are aware that they sin and continue to do it are the one who(i think) get punished however the bible includes that those who were not aware of it arent guilty of sin(maybe thats why you see your friend live a happy life)

• Johnnie James
      Johnnie James says:

There is suffering bc we are in a curse world and bad painful things happens w the good as well as the bad. We live by faith and not by sight. We usually see what people want us to see but you don’t know the inside story. Just as I don’t know yours. God so llove the world He gave His only Begotten Son Jesus that whosoever believe may have eternal life. God never promise we wouldn’t suffer but He did promise He would make our bad for our good. He also reminds us His mercy endures forever. Believers have another place to live after this nonbelievers do not. No one gets away totally with wrong doing. Let God judge and we endure to the end. In between the hard time ask Jesus to give you what you need to become all God wants you to be. Don’t look st the condition but keep your total focus on Christ and you will be able to say all is well with your soul

2. BretLani
    BretLani says:

Dolores I feel the same exact way. I was told by someone that what I go through makes me strong and those others who Don’t go through things soon will because everyone does add they wouldn’t know how to deal with it. I feel like makes me stronger? No it just has given me mental heath issues that I have to live with for life! That’s how it feels meds after meds therapy after therapy my life hasn’t been enjoying it but recovering from abuse emotionally physically mentally. From family from 1 ex and others. I see them succeeding and all I want is to succeed but no I have to struggle to go to work struggle to become someone when they were blessed with thick skin blessed with success a nice family. How does being abused make you stronger or suffering that is a lie that everyone suffers I feel god doesn’t care. I see no love in it I really dont and if we Don’t have faith on top of our suffering we get nothing. I was also told that we are wierd differently all of us are and some want more and more and its never enough some dont use the resources provided but why is there struggle some dont have to struggle to pay rent get respectful loving families some commit suicide!!! Because of struggling!!!! I have been told life is fair well maybe it is people who have families who are rich get money some do. People who grow up poor they either suffer because of low self and die or they live stronger and fight but I dont find that fair one bit. I look at myself and see there are people who dont have what I have a place to stay food to eat but I am not comfortable I am greatful but I am angry I feel I suffer I live in a negative house with family I have part-time work. I have major depression and anxiety and have to take therapy etc… Others can go out have a great time go to work get married enjoy life eat while others are hungry and wanting success but they get non and dont have a chance to have faith real faith because every time they do things dont work out they loose there home and people say oh your stronger no people not others loose there homes unless they dont pay there rent especially if they spend there money ridiculously! But people who have nothing would put in everything! And die trying ! They spend most life suffering than enjoying. I guess we people who suffer are much wise we appreciate what we have but have burning anger as to why we cannot be successful while others are getting away in life.

• Leo
      Leo says:

Welcome to the earth people, a place of hatred and malice and injustice, God told you beforehand that this what will happen because of the fall in paradise… you’re all dead already!…only time!….But God did give us all …Yes All!! …an out…
      JESUS CHRIST …go there…find peace in all your individual circumstances

• Tara
      Tara says:

Please email me honey! I have a testimony I know can help you reynoldstampa@ aol.com

• Sara M.L.C
      Sara M.L.C says:

God is selective. People who are care free, full of faith, confident, they never really have suffered, and those type of people make you feel if people have what they want, there will be no suffering. I do believe god has the power to change circumstances, If god wanted to.

• Sue
      Sue says:

Agree 100 percent. The only thing i know to do is to not procreate. Im going down but i dont have to take innocent people with me.

3. BretLani
    BretLani says:

God knows why he allows people to suffer more than others. Well then if he allows those people to suffer more he should protect them because they either get so called “stronger” make some difference or try so hard but commit suicide! In the end that’s disgusting to make a difference use them by letting them suffer to make a difference in the world and loose there life do his dirty work! Suffer! Why dont you come down here and do it instead of hiding and using others you made us and we pray to you. He to me has explaining to do because we as people never asked to be made in the first place.

• BretLani
      BretLani says:

His work not dirty work I meant dirty work because putting someone to suffer for what? To make a difference when hes the one who made humans

4. Nick
    Nick says:

SO basically what you are saying is that we suffer for no apparent reason. To suck it up because you may suffer for the rest of your life which could go on for quite some while. That only good things are promised after death. Makes one have thoughts of suicide.

5. Scott
    Scott says:

Love is kind, love is patient, love is understanding, etc., but allowing enduring suffering is the antithesis of “kind,” and when suffering people cry out for mercy to a God who is capable of ending their suffering, that is the very opposite of “understanding,” and when people who suffer and struggle to remedy their character flaws and foibles (which are a product of their sufferings’ imposed character modulation – a tweaking and refinement of personality traits that become warped and begin to diverge from the embodied agents’ created or intended “soul” and “essence.” leading to an unbroken experiential chain of heartache and pain and internal conflict and conflict with the world outside.)

We are suppose to love God because He first loved us, but I think the biblical concept of love is like a abusive husband who on many occasions does seemingly loving acts of kindness; but then on other occasions neglects to intervene when his wife is in agony and distress and it is this very inconsistency in the husbands behavior that causes the wife to begin to doubt the claims of the husband, that he loves her, because the wife, while understanding the words and maybe even believing the words in her mind, believes the to be lies in her heart and it is in the heart where genuine love resides and where it dies, and if it once lived and was hopeful of the ideal, but that ideal was smothered by the neglect of the lover, then the death of the ideal will forever overshadow what was once a speck of hope that the God of heaven could really “love” her at all.

• Mark
      Mark says:

No one can explain why God’s people suffer more than others we just have to trust his magnificent plan and his plan is great and without mistakes. His ways are not our ways. I always look at every aspect of life animals and the way they have the instinct to nurture and take care of their young. The Heavens with its constellations of Stars and how the Sun is forever burning and has not missed one day. No human on earth can explain Gods plan but it is great even if we have to suffer for all this life as we know it, it will be well worth it in the end at least that’s what I believe. I’m 51 and I feel like I’ve suffered all my life. I feel like I just exist but through it all I still have hope! This world mean nothing. You ever notice no one in this world is truly happy we always want more. You get the mansion it becomes old after a few months. You get your soul mate or at least it seems and one of the partners loose interest before long. You get the Bentley and it to becomes old after several months. Nothing on this earth keeps our attention for very long and it assures me that this is not the place for Gods children for in Gods Kingdom we will always be impressed and never loose interest. Hope this helps it helped me just typing it. God Is Good And He Is There He Inspired Me To Relay This Message. Its tough but never give up God will give you what you need to make it through in this system of things.

6. Elle
    Elle says:

The answer is because we live in a corrupted world which is full of evil although it also struggles to be good. This world is out of balance. God says “justice is mine”. We have no choice but to hope in Him and the words He left us.

• Henry
      Henry says:

Words he left us.

No. Men wrote that bible and we are done just “trusting” in some greater plan.

Enough already. Life requires too much to just “trust”

We need real answers that speak to us, that we can relate too. Not a book written thousands of years ago with riddles. A book mistaken by many.

7. Nola
    Nola says:

You aren’t supposed to compare your suffering or purpose with another. You dont know what that person is supposed to be learning on this earth. Focus on what you do have instead of what you dont. You have choices in this world.

8. Josephine
    Josephine says:

I am so physically and emotionally tired. I was abused and neglected from birth till 18 years of age. Bullied quite badly in high school. Married at 18 , a beautiful man. But have suffered major depression almost all my life. When I was 11 I was told I was adopted. Spent many years wanting to find biological family but adopted parents said I couldn’t. They had placed a Veto so that I could not find my biological family. At the age of 47 I find my biological family. Four years later my biological father dies of a brain tumour. He was a truly lovely man. I hardly got to know him as we live in nsw and he was in Victoria. Only got to see him five times. Then one year later almost to the day my biological brother almost dies from a burst brain tumour. He was in a coma when his daughter was born. He survives but can’t work as he has to learn how to walk and talk again. Then one year later he is back driving a car only to black out and crashes into a house. Almost dies again, and his young son is in the car as well. So he is not allowed to drive anymore. Side note : he was raised in a boys home and suffered abuse while there. Has tried suicide three times and also suffered depression most of his life (all through no fault of his own) . Back to me, I have been ill four five months now and I’m just not getting better. I’m so physically worn out. I have always tried to follow God. But it has always been a huge struggle.
    So, why do some suffer so much and others seem to be raised in happy homes. Not abused. Get their dream jobs. Have happier lives . I just don’t feel God is really there. If he is, I don’t understand

9. oscar
    oscar says:

It is all a misunderstanding…….. You are all on your own at getting or not getting…. Think of it as this …… You get or do something and if you get or do it , then God makes it better than it would be, but you do all the initial effort and work……. See if that explains things…..

• Sara M.L.C
      Sara M.L.C says:

Explain more. So if you dont get it, after wanting it, or doing it, what then?

10. Dave
    Dave says:

I’m not classified as a Christian or any other religion for that reason but I once had a girlfriend who believed that this earth was actually Hell and that we had to overcome and build character in this physical hell…she wasn’t any religion that I knew about but I think I agree with her…Christ said something along the lines of ‘this is Satan’s world’ did he not?…So all the powers and principalities that currently are ‘in charge’ here are most likely,to varying degrees, good agents for evil forces!.What we can do is continue to believe in what is right, even to the point of death and try to perfect out actions and thoughts so we are not influenced by what goes on around us because,as the Master said,my kingdom is not of this world(leave unto Cesar what’s his).

• Henry
      Henry says:

Except, if my kingdom is not of this world why and what would be the point OF… THIS… WORLD.

11. Philip Zamora
    Philip Zamora says:

I believe that we are put on this earth to be tried and tested and proved. What better way to prove to God that we love him with all of our heart, might, mind, and strength than to be put through suffering that only his son, Jesus Christ, can relieve? Suffering is a means of reminding us that our focal point should be Christ, it can be used as a way to develop faith in him, and what better way to prove that we love God more than the things of this world than to be put in a situation where we are denied the good things of the world?

12. Paul
    Paul says:

Well i certainly would’ve been very happy for a good man like me that really wanted a good wife and family that i still Don’t have today.

13. Mari
    Mari says:

I feel God sits and laughs at people who suffer… when I look back on my life I have always had to fight so simple things , things break that you wouldn’t expect . People say odd and rude soul damaging things to me. This isn’t making my stronger . I have constant thoughts of the bad people done … it’s like trying to move on daily knowing that something bad is going to happen so I am NEVER fully happy . Yet as a Christian this is meant to be a test of faith. I’ve given up tbh my heart has just faced the fact that I dont want to go to hell but to heaven but I’m just on this Christianity road because of that …. I don’t see God’s love in these situations and I certainly don’t see why we have to suffer when God allows it. As he see everything.

My Christian walk is just me being down depressed and moody having to put up with commandamnets so that I’m not damned but I’m not happy . So much for life treat other nice and expect crap o but Ye you have too forgive or your goin to Hell

14. Victor
    Victor says:

I have come to understand that life itself is by chance and time which happens to them all. While Jesus was departing, He said I will send you a comforter ( that is to say, This world is full of hatred and sorrows but Jesus has defeated it already) is left for us to use this opportunity given to us to overcome the things of this world. You meditate on ecclesiastic 9:11. Three key to note: some people suffer because of their faith, some suffer because because of devine punishment and some suffer to save others.

15. Angela Hughes
    Angela Hughes says:

Romans 5:3-5 ESV / 1,367 helpful votes
    More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.

1 Peter 5:10 ESV / 1,204 helpful votes
    And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you.

Romans 8:18 ESV / 985 helpful votes

James 1:2-4 ESV / 974 helpful votes
    Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

John 16:33 ESV / 512 helpful votes
    I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”

Revelation 21:4 ESV / 498 helpful votes
    He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.”

2 Timothy 3:12 ESV / 466 helpful votes
    Indeed, all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted,

1 Peter 4:12-19 ESV / 446 helpful votes
    Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice insofar as you share Christ’s sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed. If you are insulted for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you. But let none of you suffer as a murderer or a thief or an evildoer or as a meddler. Yet if anyone suffers as a Christian, let him not be ashamed, but let him glorify God in that name. …

Romans 8:28 ESV / 407 helpful votes

2 Corinthians 4:8-10 ESV / 333 helpful votes
    We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies.

Isaiah 43:2 ESV / 310 helpful votes
    When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you.

Psalm 34:19 ESV / 301 helpful votes
    Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all.

1 Peter 4:12-13 ESV / 254 helpful votes

Philippians 1:29 ESV / 254 helpful votes
    For it has been granted to you that for the sake of Christ you should not only believe in him but also suffer for his sake,

1 Peter 1:6-7 ESV / 239 helpful votes
    In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ.

2 Corinthians 4:17 ESV / 239 helpful votes

1 Corinthians 10:13 ESV / 232 helpful votes
    No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

Romans 5:3-4 ESV / 225 helpful votes

Psalm 119:71 ESV / 209 helpful votes
    It is good for me that I was afflicted, that I might learn your statutes.

Luke 14:27 ESV / 203 helpful votes
    Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple.

Hebrews 12:11 ESV / 201 helpful votes
    For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.

Philippians 3:10 ESV / 191 helpful votes
    That I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death,

Matthew 5:10-12 ESV / 187 helpful votes
    “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. “Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Romans 8:28-29 ESV / 171 helpful votes
    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.

James 1:12 ESV / 170 helpful votes
    Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him.

Isaiah 53:3 ESV / 170 helpful votes
    He was despised and rejected by men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief; and as one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

1 Peter 4:12 ESV / 160 helpful votes

Colossians 1:24 ESV / 160 helpful votes
    Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I am filling up what is lacking in Christ’s afflictions for the sake of his body, that is, the church,

2 Corinthians 1:3-4 ESV / 153 helpful votes

John 9:1-3 ESV / 151 helpful votes
    As he passed by, he saw a man blind from birth. And his disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?” Jesus answered, “It was not that this man sinned, or his parents, but that the works of God might be displayed in him.

Job 13:15 ESV / 150 helpful votes
    Though he slay me, I will hope in him; yet I will argue my ways to his face.

Isaiah 53:4 ESV / 149 helpful votes
    Surely he has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows; yet we esteemed him stricken, smitten by God, and afflicted.

2 Corinthians 1:3-7 ESV / 146 helpful votes
    Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. For as we share abundantly in Christ’s sufferings, so through Christ we share abundantly in comfort too. If we are afflicted, it is for your comfort and salvation; and if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which you experience when you patiently endure the same sufferings that we suffer. Our hope for you is unshaken, for we know that as you share in our sufferings, you will also share in our comfort.

Galatians 6:2 ESV / 145 helpful votes
    Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.

Psalm 119:67 ESV / 144 helpful votes
    Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I keep your word.

1 Peter 2:19-21 ESV / 141 helpful votes
    For this is a gracious thing, when, mindful of God, one endures sorrows while suffering unjustly. For what credit is it if, when you sin and are beaten for it, you endure? But if when you do good and suffer for it you endure, this is a gracious thing in the sight of God. For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in his steps.

1 Peter 4:1 ESV / 140 helpful votes
    Since therefore Christ suffered in the flesh, arm yourselves with the same way of thinking, for whoever has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin,

2 Corinthians 12:7 ESV / 140 helpful votes

Romans 5:3 ESV / 135 helpful votes

2 Corinthians 12:7-10 ESV / 131 helpful votes
    So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

2 Corinthians 1:3-5 ESV / 131 helpful votes

Romans 8:35 ESV / 128 helpful votes

Psalm 23:1-6 ESV / 123 helpful votes
    A Psalm of David. The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. …

Psalm 119:50 ESV / 115 helpful votes
    This is my comfort in my affliction, that your promise gives me life.

Luke 9:23-25 ESV / 114 helpful votes
    And he said to all, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it. For what does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses or forfeits himself?

1 Peter 2:19 ESV / 112 helpful votes

Psalm 22:1-31 ESV / 112 helpful votes
    To the choirmaster: according to The Doe of the Dawn. A Psalm of David. My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, from the words of my groaning? O my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer, and by night, but I find no rest. Yet you are holy, enthroned on the praises of Israel. In you our fathers trusted; they trusted, and you delivered them. To you they cried and were rescued; in you they trusted and were not put to shame. …

1 Peter 3:14 ESV / 111 helpful votes
    But even if you should suffer for righteousness’ sake, you will be blessed. Have no fear of them, nor be troubled,

Matthew 10:38 ESV / 111 helpful votes
    And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me.

2 Peter 3:9 ESV / 110 helpful votes
    The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.

Psalm 73:26 ESV / 109 helpful votes
    My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

Romans 8:35-39 ESV / 108 helpful votes
    Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? As it is written, “For your sake we are being killed all the day long; we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.” No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Jeremiah 29:11 ESV / 108 helpful votes
    For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.

1 Peter 3:18 ESV / 107 helpful votes
    For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit,

John 3:16 ESV / 106 helpful votes
    “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

1 Peter 3:17 ESV / 103 helpful votes
    For it is better to suffer for doing good, if that should be God’s will, than for doing evil.

Hebrews 2:10 ESV / 103 helpful votes
    For it was fitting that he, for whom and by whom all things exist, in bringing many sons to glory, should make the founder of their salvation perfect through suffering.

Acts 9:16 ESV / 103 helpful votes
    For I will show him how much he must suffer for the sake of my name.”

Isaiah 55:9 ESV / 103 helpful votes
    For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Mark 13:13 ESV / 101 helpful votes
    And you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved.

Hebrews 4:15 ESV / 100 helpful votes

1 Peter 4:16 ESV / 98 helpful votes

1 Peter 4:13 ESV / 97 helpful votes

1 Peter 2:21 ESV / 95 helpful votes

2 Corinthians 12:10 ESV / 95 helpful votes

John 9:2-3 ESV / 95 helpful votes

Matthew 4:24 ESV / 94 helpful votes
    So his fame spread throughout all Syria, and they brought him all the sick, those afflicted with various diseases and pains, those oppressed by demons, epileptics, and paralytics, and he healed them.

Matthew 5:10 ESV / 93 helpful votes

Acts 5:41 ESV / 92 helpful votes
    Then they left the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer dishonor for the name.

Matthew 10:22 ESV / 91 helpful votes

Psalm 22:24 ESV / 91 helpful votes
    For he has not despised or abhorred the affliction of the afflicted, and he has not hidden his face from him, but has heard, when he cried to him.

2 Timothy 1:8 ESV / 90 helpful votes
    Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord, nor of me his prisoner, but share in suffering for the gospel by the power of God,

Matthew 11:28 ESV / 90 helpful votes
    Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Isaiah 52:13-53:12 ESV / 89 helpful votes
    Behold, my servant shall act wisely; he shall be high and lifted up, and shall be exalted. As many were astonished at you— his appearance was so marred, beyond human semblance, and his form beyond that of the children of mankind— so shall he sprinkle many nations; kings shall shut their mouths because of him; for that which has not been told them they see, and that which they have not heard they understand. Who has believed what he has heard from us? And to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed? For he grew up before him like a young plant, and like a root out of dry ground; he had no form or majesty that we should look at him, and no beauty that we should desire him. …

James 1:2 ESV / 88 helpful votes
    Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds,

Romans 8:3 ESV / 87 helpful votes
    For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh,

Revelation 2:10 ESV / 86 helpful votes
    Do not fear what you are about to suffer. Behold, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and for ten days you will have tribulation. Be faithful unto death, and I will give you the crown of life.

Romans 16:20 ESV / 86 helpful votes
    The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you.

2 Corinthians 4:16-18 ESV / 85 helpful votes
    So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.

1 Corinthians 13:3 ESV / 85 helpful votes
    If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.

James 5:10-11 ESV / 83 helpful votes
    As an example of suffering and patience, brothers, take the prophets who spoke in the name of the Lord. Behold, we consider those blessed who remained steadfast. You have heard of the steadfastness of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, how the Lord is compassionate and merciful.

James 1:3 ESV / 81 helpful votes
    For you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness.

Acts 14:22 ESV / 79 helpful votes
    Strengthening the souls of the disciples, encouraging them to continue in the faith, and saying that through many tribulations we must enter the kingdom of God.

Ecclesiastes 7:14 ESV / 79 helpful votes
    In the day of prosperity be joyful, and in the day of adversity consider: God has made the one as well as the other, so that man may not find out anything that will be after him.

1 Peter 4:12-16 ESV / 78 helpful votes

1 Corinthians 2:9 ESV / 78 helpful votes
    But, as it is written, “What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him”—

Romans 8:17 ESV / 78 helpful votes

Job 36:15 ESV / 77 helpful votes
    He delivers the afflicted by their affliction and opens their ear by adversity.

Romans 8:29 ESV / 74 helpful votes

Romans 12:14 ESV / 71 helpful votes
    Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them.

1 Peter 5:7 ESV / 70 helpful votes
    Casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.

Hebrews 4:15-16 ESV / 70 helpful votes
    For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

Romans 8:17-18 ESV / 70 helpful votes
    And if children, then heirs—heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him. For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us.

Matthew 10:39 ESV / 67 helpful votes
    Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.

Deuteronomy 8:3 ESV / 66 helpful votes
    And he humbled you and let you hunger and fed you with manna, which you did not know, nor did your fathers know, that he might make you know that man does not live by bread alone, but man lives by every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord.

John 18:11 ESV / 65 helpful votes Helpful Not Helpful
    So Jesus said to Peter, “Put your sword into its sheath; shall I not drink the cup that the Father has given me?”

Matthew 27:28-29 ESV / 65 helpful votes
    And they stripped him and put a scarlet robe on him, and twisting together a crown of thorns, they put it on his head and put a reed in his right hand. And kneeling before him, they mocked him, saying, “Hail, King of the Jews!”

2 Timothy 2:3-4 ESV / 64 helpful votes
    Share in suffering as a good soldier of Christ Jesus. No soldier gets entangled in civilian pursuits, since his aim is to please the one who enlisted him.

John 15:19 ESV / 62 helpful votes
    If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you.

Matthew 26:39 ESV / 61 helpful votes
    And going a little farther he fell on his face and prayed, saying, “My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will.”

16. Salendra deo
    Salendra deo says:

Satan starts to follow you when you are still young…sometimes as soon as you are born. Is parents ultimate responsibility to always pray for their children… as the children grow teach them the path of living with God.How to seek god, true meaning of life… because of we don’t these children go through a very tough or life full of problems later and sometimes end up committing suicide. It’s always good to monitor your children’s behaviour. How they react when sometimes we call them for prayers… Sometimes they are lazy, or make excuses, or even just dont want to join family for prayers. It should ring a bell in parents mind that satan is trying to take control of their child’s life. Sometimes whole family suffer this is due to lack of faith or a curse… So if you know or see any family are going through a very hard time visit and pray for them, you can show them the right path as Angel of god. And you will be blessed. Thanks

17. Mike
    Mike says:

God is love. It is true for the scripture says it. But there is another attribute of God that often goes unnoticed, God is just. Now justice require a punishment for wrongs done and wrongs done often cause suffering to those wronged. The acts of these wrongs are not love so this connects it to the wrong of not loving your neighbor. If God is to punish the guilty then they must be guilty of some offence. This is too brief but a general out line.

18. g koz
    g koz says:

I can only suggest laying your grief and your woes at the feet of Christ (Jesus) the author and finisher of our faith. The world has nothing good to offer us. If you trust Jesus as your Lord and Savior, we are not of this world, but our home is in heaven. We are to live for righteousness and not take vengeance. Vengeance is reserved only for God. God says,”I will repay.” God cares dearly for those who believe in him, we are his children.
    I encourage you to read the new testament: Peter, Colossians, 1John, all of it. THAT is where you will find peace for your souls… Forbeareance is standing firm during provocation. Turn the other cheek. You are adding jewels to your crown as long as you are giving for him and doing good and right. God is watching.. James 1:2 says, “Count it all joy whene you suffer trials of many kinds…” This is a hard teaching. But I beg you to read God’s word. Do not judge it until you have read it and it has had a chance to transform you from the inside. Do not follow the path of the multitudes who do not have the light of life in them…
    I will leave you with this scripture passage. You needn’t comment on it.. but I do hope you will dust off a bible and begin reading about the love God sent down to us named Jesus…
    1 Peter 2:19-25
    19 For it is commendable if someone bears up under the pain of unjust suffering because they are conscious of God. 20But how is it to your credit if you receive a beating for doing wrong and endure it? But if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God. 21To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.

22“He committed no sin,

and no deceit was found in his mouth.”

23 When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly. 24“He himself bore our sins” in his body on the cross, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; “by his wounds you have been healed.” 25 For “you were like sheep going astray,”f but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls.

19. Prophetess Irene
    Prophetess Irene says:

Well the word of God tells us to reign with Christ we must also suffer too I think it would be wrong if Christ was the only one that suffered he suffered for us so….but I too go through hardship at times and i wonder too why lord why , but i still press onward knowing that it wont always be trials and tribulations that the sun will shine again I tell myself hold on old solider that your season will come change is around the corner so please don’t give up on God and realize we do get a blessing every day when we wake I rather receive the blessing of just being alive and not sleeping in my grave…To God Be The glory!! Lord I pray that you continue to always have a ram in the Bush for us all that you give us strength in the time of trouble and help our unbelief help us not to lean to our own understanding but to trust you to direct our path and know that your goodness and mercy shall follow us all the days of our life and that we have the victory in you no matter what comes our way Lord God help us to keep our eyes on you and not the issues at hand for you are the problem solver and knowing that the devil is a liar and we say satan the Lord rebuke you in Jesus mighty name Amen! and Amen!