Written by Jessica Lim
With the trials and sufferings that life throws at us, facing these hurdles often makes dealing with life itself wearisome. Whether they are bearable or devastating, each of the struggles has its lessons that are intended by God. So, instead of simply going through the motion or even seeking quick escape, let us learn to rejoice in them!
“Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.” —Romans 5:3-5 (ESV)
Here are some reasons why we should rejoice in our sufferings:
- It is in these times that God reveals more about our character, as well as His love and grace for us. Only when we open our hearts to Him will we be able to grasp His revelations to us.
- It is through our brokenness during trials that we humble ourselves. With this humility, we will be that malleable clay which God molds to become more like Christ.
- They give us the motivation to make changes in our lives. A life without suffering has no motivation or desire to improve itself.
- They help us realize that we are powerless and helpless alone. But with God and by His strength, we can overcome difficulties, as the verse in Psalm 34:18 says, “The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit.”
- They enable us to relate to the people who are going through similar experiences, hence cultivating empathy and compassion. Sufferings increase our capacity to love.
Life will never be a bed of roses. Thankfully in the midst of our sufferings, we can find peace in God’s unfailing love for us, holding not to the false promises of the world, but to His promises of faithfulness, goodness, and deliverance. May we rejoice and reflect the glory of God in our sufferings!