This Month’s Theme:
God’s Only A Call Away
5 When hard pressed, I cried to the Lord;he brought me into a spacious place. 6 The Lord is with me; I will not be afraid.What can mere mortals do to me? 7 The Lord is with me; he is my helper. I look in triumph on my enemies. 8 It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in humans.
Sometimes when I find it hard to let go of my earthly concerns–my health, work, and the future–I’ll go to the meadows, and sit and wait to hear God’s voice. This comforts and strengthens me.
Scripture says God will show us “great and unsearchable things” (Jeremiah 33:3) when we call on Him. So on days when our heads are filled with competing voices, such as, “Chase this career! Earn x amount of money! Tick off this to-do list!”, we should first call on our God, and listen for His voice–a safe and quiet place for all of our troubles and concerns.
– Karolina Hayduchyk
Join in the Conversation
Have you ever found yourself in a situation where life has beaten you into a corner, and there isn’t anyone else you can turn to for help?
The psalmist cried out to the Lord in distress when he was hunted by his enemies. He knew God would deliver him into a “spacious place” (Psalm 118:5)–a safe, secure place–and while he is stressed, he isn’t afraid of these “mere mortals” because he has God, the most powerful ally, on his side (v. 6).
The “enemies” weathering us down may not take human form–it could be unemployment, ill-health, or broken relationships–but we can call to the Lord in our distress. He’s waiting and willing to defeat them, so we, like the psalmist, can “look in on triumph” (v. 7).
Today, won’t you give God a buzz with whatever’s weighing on your heart? He’s only a call away, ready and waiting to receive you.
Topics to Explore
Seeking refuge in God/Praying to God
- The day God answered my prayers. Tell us what you prayed for and how did God answer it? (alternatively, you could write about the time you prayed for something, but God had said no, and in hindsight, it was a wonderful thing).
- My life is going really well right now. Why do I still need God?
- X ways to remain patient when God answers with silence.
- X things that have refreshed/rejuvenated my prayer life.
What can man do to me? / Not putting our trust in humans
- Help! I can’t stop looking to my peers for validation.
- Knowing God is with me has allowed me to face ___ boldly (future/studies/career/life on earth).
- The time I was crushed by someone’s word/expectations.
- X ways to hold onto God’s unchanging truth in a world of constant change.
Other topics (work, friendships, relationships, church/spiritual matters)
- X realities about work and life that school doesn’t prepare us for.
- When your friends have more successful careers than you.
- How to listen better as a friend.
- How to manage dating fatigue (especially on dating apps)?
- How can I stay true to my faith without getting cancelled?
Need to remember how God delivers? Here are some stories to encourage you!
Join in the Fun
If you’re more of a visual person, you can be a part of the YMI community by contributing or tagging your artworks with our hashtag #ymitoday. Check out our creatives’ guidelines and send us your artworks.
We know you love your colours, so do we! Every two months, we set a colour theme that we’ll work around. Use the colour palette below to increase your chances of getting featured!