Yes, God Is In Control

By Morentalisa Hutapea, Indonesia

When I was in university, I once had a discussion with my professor on Facebook. He wrote a status saying: “Looking at the bad things happening on earth such as genocide and wars, I would say either God does not exist or He does not have control or He is that cruel.” I disagreed with that and left a comment saying that God does exist and He is good. He then asked me how could I be sure. I replied: “Faith.”

I can definitely understand why he would question God’s presence, sovereignty, and goodness. I have also seen bad things happen in this world. I have a best friend who lost her brother when he was burned alive. I remembered I cried the whole night when I heard that news because I never thought that such a tragedy could happen to someone so close to me. I worked with issues such as human right abuses, civil wars, corruption, and more. I realized that such sadness would bring people to ask, what kind of God allows such cruel things to happen?

Since I was young, I have dealt with loss. I lost my dad when I was a year old. I lost my grandparents when I was a teenager. I lost my friend’s father whom I deemed as my own father when I was in junior high school. I lost my boyfriend when I was at my lowest point in life and recently, I lost the place I called home for the last twenty years because it got burned.

There are surely times when I find it hard to believe that God exists and that He is in control. I often hang out with skeptics and atheists, and sometimes their belief in the non-existence of God can be very tempting for my little brain. I have read some constructivism books which tell me that religion is merely a social construction. But should I believe them?

Somehow, deep down in my heart, I know, I believe, and I am sure that God exists, He is in control, and He is good. How can I be sure? The answer is still the same: Faith.

It is faith that has brought me this far. Of course there are scars, but I found my wounds healed. It is faith that enabled me to see the good things that God creates out of those sad stories. It is faith that made me see the beautiful rainbow, even if the rain has not stopped pouring yet. Although I still find it impossible at times, it is faith that pushed me to obey this command, “Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus” (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 NIV).

How can such big faith fit into this tiny girl? I believe it is only by God’s grace and through His Spirit, by the morning and night daily prayers, by the brothers and sisters in Christ I met along the way. All of them enabled me to stand strong through all the circumstances, through all the falls, through all the mistakes and the sins, seeing how faithful the Lord is. So yes, He does exist, He is in control, and He is good in every way.

Finally, these verses from Habbakuk 3: 17 – 19 strengthen my faith and help me see that God is in control:

“Even though the fig trees have no blossoms,
and there are no grapes on the vines;
even though the olive crop fails,
and the fields lie empty and barren;
even though the flocks die in the fields,
and the cattle barns are empty,
yet I will rejoice in the LORD!
I will be joyful in the God of my salvation!
The Sovereign LORD is my strength!
He makes me as surefooted as a deer,
able to tread upon the heights.”

1. joe
    joe says:

if we have to dig so deep and find quotes,bible passages,for us to try and grasp that god is in control and to sell our selves on this idea when we are in pain…
    It becomes pretty obvious he is not. That is to painful to swallow so….. we keep fooling ourselves to survive.

2. Mukesh
    Mukesh says:

Dear Sister, I cannot contemplate how much you’ve had to endure through all your losses but you certainly display a deep rooted faith in our Lord and father. Our Lord Jesus once said that “you know how to discern the weather but cannot discern the times” – surely this is so true today as we have computers to forecast weather, financial info, profit/loss etc but we fail to see how much damage we cause by our own actions, how much we cause others to suffer by our greed and selfishness. Is it any surprise when people ask why would God allow suffering since they are always looking for an excuse for their own actions!

3. Quint
    Quint says:

People will always question why a God will allow cruelty, violence, and all the bad things to ordinary people. But if you really get down to it, its a cop out. People are just trying their non-belief, that they can do it on their own, and that they don’t need a god to turn things around. Some may have some success, and sadly, that cements their belief of the non-existence of a god.

The values of the living God were shared with us as early as the Old Testament times, and it has remained timeless and relevant. Its just Man is just too stubborn and hardheaded, and thinks that he can carve his own way of life, live it out the way he or she wishes. But if we really read the history of Man, and his or her beliefs, we can see that Man’s ways always lead to destruction. The Old Testament is just a gamut of tragedies. And yet, in the same Book, we find that if Man follows, obeys, and lives out the life that He has called us to, we become a better people.

God has given us Free Will. It is a gift. It is what we do with this Free Will that differentiates the good from the bad or evil. Sometimes, we even see the bad ones get away with murder, greed, etc., but we all know that there will be a Day of Reckoning.

As for nature, this is all but part of the world we live in, and we just need to be reminded sometimes that our lives here on earth is but a temporary arrangement. Every now and then therefore, we need to be shaken by a quake, or washed by a typhoon lest we be hardened by our own ways and fail to remember that life on earth is a temporary passage.

4. John Dilao
    John Dilao says:

Amen. God is Sovereign. Do we dont know why it happen (Isaiah 55:8-9). He allow such things to happen because He wants to mold our faith. For without faith it is impossible to please Him. Faith being sure of what we hope for and what we do not see. God is always on control. He knows our past our present and our future.

5. Seraphim555
    Seraphim555 says:

This is the consolation we have, that God is with us in the pain, a very present help in trouble . That’s another reason why we pray and delve into the Scriptures – in the lives of its characters, we realise we’re merely participating in the fellowship of Christ’s sufferings . He carries our burdens and became sin for us . We may fight and argue with Him , but He’d never objected to that . Just so long as we stick close to Him thro’ the flames and high water , which it is promised will not burn or drown us . Fact remains that after the Fall, this is a broken world but He is the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world . Redemption is complete , we just have to stick with Christ .

6. Morentalisa Hutapea
    Morentalisa Hutapea says:

I just realized that this writing was posted in YMI, thank you for reading and thank you for such encouraging comments.

I found it amazing for me to pass all of the bad things in life. I know it’s God and God alone who strengthen me :”)