Superman

By Naftaly C. Sitompul, United States

“This way, Dad! Turn this way now!”

I called out to him as we danced in front of the television. He happily took my lead. It was a beautiful Sunday afternoon.

After some foot-thumping (and heart-pumping) moment, Dad dropped onto the couch and pant, “Ok, let’s take a five minutes break. We’ll start dancing again after that!”

Five minutes later, Dad couldn’t get up again. Mum realized that something was wrong. She called for an ambulance.

****

The next day, while in the midst of a lesson, I was called out of the class and told to go home.

He died. My best friend died. The person I looked to in times of need, died. My superman’s gone.

****

As I sipped my pumpkin latte, alone in the Starbucks’ crowd, I realized that the memory of that fateful day still cuts like a knife.
I remembered being anorexic.
I remembered trying to numb my body and soul so as to dull the pain in my heart.
I remembered having to slowly pick up the pieces of my life again.
I remembered every tear I shed which I asked God to wipe away.
I remembered trying to get up from falling down.
I remembered failing to get the scholarship to study in America.
I remembered getting offered the scholarship again.
I remembered waving good-bye to my family and loved ones, as I left for America.
I remembered God granted me wisdom to ace my exams every semester.

****

I remembered what it took to live on from then to now and I thank God for every single tear that He turns into laughter and for every thorn that leads to a rose.

Through it all, I have come to realize that our Sovereign God is the real Superman.

When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown. When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you. For I am the Lord, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.
— Isaiah 43:2-3 —

1. Ayo
    Ayo says:

You know attimes God might seem to be nowhere even in the midst of our darkest and deepest trials. But always remember ‘He works in ways we cannot see’.

2. Ricky Lim
    Ricky Lim says:

Hi, I just want to share this quote:

“Blessed those who can see beautiful things in a terrible condition when people can not see them”.

3. min xiong
    min xiong says:

(Isaiah55:8-9)
    Thank God,went interview for 8 hours duty,may God help me to choose the correct job,according to God’s will,employer offer part-time and full-time,6 days week,1 day off,pray in the name of Lord Jesus,Amen.God bless

4. min xiong
    min xiong says:

(1John2:5,Ephesians4:30-31,32)
    Thank God,today a few vacancies,may God help to make correct choice,the only God who create the universe,may all glory,power given to him,pray in the name of Lord Jesus,Amen.God bless

5. wesley
    wesley says:

I remember hearing somewhere that those who suffer are the best friends of Christ.Lord jesus is with you my friend.

1 Peter 1:6-9
    6 In all this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. 7 These have come so that the proven genuineness of your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. 8 Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, 9 for you are receiving the end result of your faith, the salvation of your souls.

GOD BLESS…

6. Anta Kusuma
    Anta Kusuma says:

Very sad to read this. I do believe, your Supermen very proud of you and very happy to see your great achievement.

7. Terry Wermuth
    Terry Wermuth says:

Kitty,
    You never told me how your father died, just that the loss of him was devastating to you. You are one strong woman! You pulled yourself up from the bottom and now successfully carry on with your Dad’s spirit in your heart. Publish these stories Kitty. They are the type of stories that people like to hear. Difficulty, tragedy and fear always turns to safety, joy and perseverance. That is why I love you like your mom.