Forgiveness (1)

By MeL Scribe, Australia

The world is in need of forgiveness, now more than ever. In times of crisis, one’s first instinct is to shift the blame to someone else, or when an appropriate scapegoat is discovered, all eyes and hatred are turn to him or her, ready to begrudge that person of everything. We are a flawed and cruel people.

The media portrays some just reasons for anger, especially in the last season of the Victorian bushfire crisis. No person can be held responsible for an earthquake, but the thirst for revenge is stirred at the news of a disaster deliberately started. It is a natural response for us to want our loved ones avenged, but this desire is not a beneficial or healthy one.

Such is the cold and harsh emotional climate in which I endeavour to reach you, my audience. Hear me out if I have lost you with my first two paragraphs. Each and every one of us makes mistakes or bad decisions over both trivial and important matters at some point in our lives. Some of these foibles are more significant than others, but all of us have fallen short nevertheless. We are as guilty as Eve who bit into the forbidden fruit.

Yet there is room for us to show the better side of our character. Each of us has the capability to be a considerate, self-disciplined citizen of a loving world—if we would only try. A world where no one is ostracised, excluded, ignored or rejected. Why bother? You ask me. Why should I be nice to everyone around me, even toward those whom I don’t like? Because we can make this wretched world a better place in ways beyond our wildest imagination. And you, yes, you, have that power just by choosing to make the right decision. You have the power in your words and your actions to make someone’s day. You could choose to smile and show appreciation to the person at the supermarket checkout, or the bus driver who brings you to where you need to be, or the boss who pays you every month so you have money to spend. You have the power to positively rock their world. What a great privilege!

But even my enemies? You think. Yes, even your enemies. In fact, your enemies will be the first people to notice the change in your attitude. Initially they may be wary of you and suspicious of your motives, but your persistence will win them over, and eventually you will see how valuable your enemy can be to you as a friend. So what’s holding you back? Why do we refuse to improve ourselves in order to make a positive difference in this world? All of us have a need for others to recognize our identity and purpose as an agent of change; a desire of ours is to make the world we live in a better place.

One of the things that may be stopping you could be pride. Why should I treat my enemies with mercy and forgiveness when they started the war against me? If anyone should make peace, it should be them, not me! They’ll think me weak and susceptible to attack; like a doormat they’ll wipe their feet all over me! Not a chance. But I tell you, that may not be true. At the end of it, they will see you a strong and determined individual for the worthy cause of a peacemaker.

Another thing holding your forgiveness back could be pain. You think that they have done you an unforgivable wrong, and your imaginary wound is still smarting from the hurt they have dealt you. In a short story I’ve written, Sandra has a clear reason for not wanting to forgive her enemies, but still the Captain trained her, or hoped to teach her the lesson on forgiveness. Was it too much of him to ask that of them? Perhaps to you it was, but let me explain the Captain’s demands from his point of view. He asked them to forgive the ruthless pirates not just because he needed them alive when the ship reached the port, but he knew that if they never let go of their hatred, they were never recover from their loss and would hence grant their enemies a victory from the agonizing invisible wounds remaining in their heart. (Look out for this story in my future post!)

By refusing to let go of the past pain, you would be allowing the enemies to achieve their goals. You would be granting those enemies a victory over you by letting your past hinder your present and control your future!

Forgive and forget, unless you want to grant them this satisfaction. It takes time, but it is possible.

1. Bola
    Bola says:

Forgiveness is one of the wheels that turns d world around.
    To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover the prisoner was YOU
    It may not change the past, but will surely enlarge the future.
    In essence, forgiveness pays.

2. gareth
    gareth says:

I pray to God each day to make me humble in my walk with Jesus and to forgive anyone who has cheated or hurt me in the past because God has said that if you don’t forgive your enemies he will not forgive us on our final day or on the day of Christ’s return. As we strive to live like the Lord, one sure thing we will make positive impact on the people that we live with work with or even total strangers. I tell you i have definitely noticed a difference in my walk with the Lord and how He has helped me make a positive impact on lives of other people.

I love you Jesus forever and ever Amen.

3. heidi
    heidi says:

Many times it’s hard to forgive because when we forgive, we humble ourselves to the lowest part. As human, we always think about our pride, and don’t care about others. As a latin phrase says “Homo Homini Lupus”, Man is a Wolf to Man. This world can’t end wars unless they find the enemy defeated by them. Forgiveness and love are the weapon to keep this world in peace.

4. samuel mwaura
    samuel mwaura says:

speaking about forgiveness.. we all need it.. its jus as the scripture says.. none doth good but God.. we all have reasons for holding onto hurt.. pride is a good measure of the way we see our-self.. we pride in the fact that we can hold a grudge the longest.. like the Series Survivor.. who’s the last man standing??

the next is hurt.. hurt is good when no one else feels the way we do.. we tell others that they jus don’t get it!! can’t forgive the man.. he hurt me too deep!! so what about the one were not forgiving?? do we ever see that they hurt to?? the thought that they did their brother wrong hurts them to..

do we see their hurt from a far?? or does the crying fog our vision?? do we see that they need to reconnect with us?? man!! we say.. not ready to give up the hurt now.. it gives us a sense of power over the brother that hurt us.. let him feel the way i do!! wrong..

God sees this as an act of vengeance upon the brother.. thou shall not take vengeance upon the one that does u the hurting!! so what does the pride in us when we hurt others produce?? Unforgiveness..

but whose the one doing the worse of the two?? is it the unforgiven or the un-forgiver?? because God is good to those that are being molested by the hurt.. he does the forgiving Himself.. setting them free from their guilt.. blessed are the meek.. for they shall inherit the earth..

God becomes their new Pal.. and he gives them a world of Joy and Peace.. Love so real.. all the fat of the earth.. Goodness and mercy follows them all the days of their life!!

where does this lead the proud and hurt man?? in trouble with God.. he is miserable.. still smarting.. more puffed up.. unable to see himself thru God’s eyes.. unable to come to repentance.. unable to enjoy his salvation.. the most rarest gift God gave him.. unable to forgive his brother.. unable to enjoy a guilt free live.. no joy.. no peace.. no Christ!!

if we do not forgive.. our Father will not forgive us too!! we need to let go of hurt and let God..

Psalm 62:1-2; 5-6.. In Christ Alone
    My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken. Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken. NIV

5. samuel mwaura
    samuel mwaura says:

This post.. this person am talking about… the one smarting from pain and pride.. not an attack on nobody.. this brother is me..

am @ the point i need to let go of the past.. the guilt.. the crazy living.. am @ the point i need to reconnect with God.. simply brothers.. am asking for God to stop this living.. living – doing what i knowingly hurts Him..

Lord.. this is for you.. this prodigal son is asking to come home.. this prodigal is asking that you forgive him graciously.. that he offers the fruit of his lips.. like Jeremiah.. This man of unclean lips!!

am tired of sin.. it keeps me humiliated.. God forgive Sam for crazy living!!

Prayer..

Gracious God. I am amazed at your kindness in giving everybody an opportunity to respond to your grace. Thank you for Your patience with me, when I did not deserve it, in drawing me towards your love and granting me faith to trust you. Please help my family and friends, companions and colleagues to recognise your kindness and patience in the time you allow before their opportunity is lost for ever. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

• Rachel
      Rachel says:

Amen.
      God has delivered you.He has delivered all of us.
      So lets celebrate His goodness and love!!!

6. vasiti
    vasiti says:

forgiveness turns n tucks every bit of our lives young n old learning and living to forgive is one thing i love to do

7. MeL Scribe/Megan
    MeL Scribe/Megan says:

Wow. It looks like i’m a bit late but… 8 responses! Eight!
    I’m amazed at how God works and glad this is so meaningful.
    Don’t forget to read part 3 if you haven’t already done so yet 😀
    i’ll definitely be posting more — when the brainwaves come.